Alpha Developers Network

Author Topic: USer Restrictions  (Read 1032 times)

Victor Vanfleet

USer Restrictions
« on: December 15, 2014, 06:01:48 AM »
How do I dynamically set from time to time a restriction for menus on different users, for example Id ont want the user or client to go to the ALpha anywhere development environement to choose or set menus and sub menus to a different user or user group. Sure I can set on Alpha ANywhere the Menu restrictions, and when I manage users on ATG web framework I Will just choose the group, but I want the user not to go to AA to change menus for different groups, Is there a way to just select the menus on the grid and allow or disalow a user?

Steve Wood

• Administrator
  • Expert
    • AlphaToGo
Re: USer Restrictions
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 07:02:34 AM »
I assume you mean you have users in different groups with each group having a "boss" who wants to control what menu options their users have.

The Framework comes with two different Menus, the normal Alpha Navigation, and the Framework "mobile" navigation. You could build what you want with either of those menus. It would be easier with the Framework navigation because it is based on a Table and Grid whereas the Alpha Nav is totally dependent upon the Alpha Development environment.

In fact, an update to the Framework next week will include Security Groups added to the Framework Nav so that you CAN restrict who sees what menu node on the Framework Nav based on security. The Framework Nav is restricted to TWO levels of menu, whereas the Alpha Nav is unlimited. This is on purpose because the Framework Nav becomes a Mobile Nav on small devices and you just cannot get more than two levels in that mode.

But doing exactly what you want is this is outside of the current Framework product. So you would have to program it or ask us (or someone else) to do it as a paid project.
---
Steve Wood
www.alphatogo.com

Victor Vanfleet

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 02:02:37 PM »
Thanks so much sir I will wait for the Update next week. and yes you are right that I want the boss to set the menu restrictions just by selecting true or false if the boss want to grant a user to a certain menu or it would be so much better if we can control restrictions on the field level e.g. price change field or column in a grid will be disabled/hidden to restricted users.

Victor Vanfleet

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 05:49:01 AM »
I assume you mean you have users in different groups with each group having a "boss" who wants to control what menu options their users have.

The Framework comes with two different Menus, the normal Alpha Navigation, and the Framework "mobile" navigation. You could build what you want with either of those menus. It would be easier with the Framework navigation because it is based on a Table and Grid whereas the Alpha Nav is totally dependent upon the Alpha Development environment.

In fact, an update to the Framework next week will include Security Groups added to the Framework Nav so that you CAN restrict who sees what menu node on the Framework Nav based on security. The Framework Nav is restricted to TWO levels of menu, whereas the Alpha Nav is unlimited. This is on purpose because the Framework Nav becomes a Mobile Nav on small devices and you just cannot get more than two levels in that mode.

But doing exactly what you want is this is outside of the current Framework product. So you would have to program it or ask us (or someone else) to do it as a paid project.

How much does it cost for this project?

Steve Wood

• Administrator
  • Expert
    • AlphaToGo
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 10:48:35 PM »
Warren,

Sorry for the delay (vacation). I never know exactly the cost. When you have a good idea of how it would look, write back (describe it). I can do it or have someone else do it, or try to describe better how you might do it yourself.
---
Steve Wood
www.alphatogo.com

Victor Vanfleet

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 03:22:58 PM »
What I would like to do is, on the framework default menu, there is an admin and a cascade menu example. What I would like to do is that the administrator can assign dynamically at runtime to specific users by selecting the username just like in your new update where the admin will select if the menu is enabled on User and Administrator, I tried a fresh install and it worked fine and tried to disable a menu like Google or Contact to be visible for the user and not for the Administrator and it is working fine, How can I also do this on the Cascade menu example so that Anytime the administrator can enable and disable menus for available or registered users?

Edit: On the current version of Alphatogo, the process is to select the menu and assign users. Is it possible to do the other way around?
Meaning, I want to select a user and all the available menus will be displayed and just click a check box or set a true or false to all any available menus? This way it would be very easy for admins to just go to a user record and allow or dis-allow a menu or sub-menu. Please see attached file.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 03:43:16 PM by WarrenD »

Steve Wood

• Administrator
  • Expert
    • AlphaToGo
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 09:48:24 PM »
If you built a many-to-many related table between the Framework menu table and your users table you could probably accomplish this. You could never do this with the Alpha navigation so the Framework is an advantage. You should try to build this yourself as it is a good exercise.
---
Steve Wood
www.alphatogo.com

Victor Vanfleet

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 10:27:29 PM »
Thank you sir for the quick reply. Hope you can also estimate how much if you are going to build this type.

Steve Wood

• Administrator
  • Expert
    • AlphaToGo
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 01:14:20 AM »
Warren, what is your deadline? I think what I will do is see what other developers want to help build "add-ons" for the Framework. I won't have time for quite a while to divert my attention.
---
Steve Wood
www.alphatogo.com

Victor Vanfleet

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 05:10:55 AM »
May I ask sir just in case if How much? Thanks!

Steve Wood

• Administrator
  • Expert
    • AlphaToGo
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 11:47:36 PM »
Sorry I would rather work up a system where other's can jump in and do the work. I cannot commit to anything other than core Framework for the next few months.
---
Steve Wood
www.alphatogo.com

Victor Vanfleet

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 09:09:25 PM »
Ok sir, Thanks!

Wolfgangg

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 07:44:53 PM »
Expression as well for your site that is appropriate for members.