Alpha Developers Network

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jim Coltz - JQuery Calendar / Re: starttime and endtime not being saved properly
« Last post by Jim Coltz on March 04, 2017, 08:46:34 AM »
I am happy to hear you have it sorted out.
Jim Coltz - JQuery Calendar / Re: starttime and endtime not being saved properly
« Last post by Laurencia on March 04, 2017, 08:44:10 AM »
After further experimentation, it appears your theory is correct.

Thank you.
« Last post by Laurencia on March 04, 2017, 07:53:12 AM »
The MySQL table was created using the MySQL script at http://www.a5customsolutions.com/jqcalendar_docs.html

The table columns are StartTime (datetime) and EndTime (datetime).

onDialogInitialize has dim e._state.separate_date_times set false

Is the above as required?

« Last post by Jim Coltz on March 04, 2017, 07:28:26 AM »
It sounds like the data binding for the UX is not set up correctly. Please verify your mapping. Note that the mapping is dependent on whether your back-end is using separate date and time columns or date-time columns. Also verify that the back-end database is configured to match.
Jim Coltz - JQuery Calendar / starttime and endtime not being saved properly
« Last post by Laurencia on March 03, 2017, 08:35:21 AM »
Upon entry of a new record (from the detail/edit UX form, in LivePreview mode), the INSERT (MySQL) fails apparently due to missing (wrong format) data:

:jqcalendar_starttime (T) 10/22/2017 12:00:00 00 am
:jqcalendar_endtime (C) 10:37 am

1292 - 'Incorrect datetime value: '10:37 am' for column 'EndTime' at row 1'

Where the DATE portion does exist, the TIME seems to be getting submitted as the DATE, and the time is always 12:00:00 00 am regardless of setting in the form.  Why is the datatype showing T on starttime, but C on endtime?

This is quite confusing.

Often, the Date portion is missing altogether (although the time is then properly submitted as the time).

The jqcalendar.aex file is dated 8/31/2015
Alpha Web Application Server for IIS / Re: Project, locked into IIS?
« Last post by KatiBruce on September 16, 2016, 07:11:11 PM »
Hi all,

I can confirm The we have a couple of projects where we publish to BOTH WAS and IIS (both are running on the SAME server). In our case we use the WAS as the Beta site and when the Client is happy then we publish to the IIS (LIVE) site. WAS is on port 8080 and IIS is on port 80. 
On the codeing side there have been a few things that we had to change to get to work on IIS (can't think what they were now) but not too many things in the grand scheme of things.
General Discussion / Alpha Licensing changes
« Last post by Steve Wood on September 08, 2016, 01:58:44 PM »
<< From Selwyn

I think the real issue here is that we expect customers to have a valid subscription at all times.

For historical reasons, the legacy customer base (i.e. customers who were v11 users before V12 came out) have a special type of subscription that allows them to continue using the product after their subscription end (but limits them to the last official build that was available at the time their subscription ran out)

we no longer sell these types of subscriptions anymore.

we only sell 'true' subscriptions which means you must have a valid subscription at all times in order to use Alpha Anywhere.
>>

<<
Clarification by Lenny:
Selwyn's explanation of licensing was already posted in this thread. I cannot comment further on license offerings or policies, but I can attempt to clarify his statement.

Alpha Five Version 11 and prior licenses are all perpetual licenses. If you own one of these licenses, you may use that software indefinitely.

Alpha Anywhere (V12) is subscription based and the subscriptions have had 2 different models:
Initial Alpha Anywhere subscriptions included a perpetual license that allowed indefinite use of the software, up to the last official release available when the subscription expires. If the subscription expires and the software is newer than the latest official release available on the expiration date, the software will not work. This can be resolved by applying an older patch.
Current Alpha Anywhere subscriptions do NOT include a perpetual license. When the subscription expires, you will be unable to use the software. This is the only type of subscription that is currently offered. Your data is yours and will not be locked or blocked in any way, but you will not be able to use Alpha Anywhere to access it.

The second type of subscription (without a perpetual license) is the only subscription currently being offered by Alpha Software. All new subscribers will have this type of subscription.

If you do not know which type of subscription you have, you can contact your sales rep directly or email sales @ alphasoftware.com. Similarly, contact sales if this explanation is still unclear, or if you are interested in some type of custom license offering.

Quote Originally Posted by lgrupido  View Post
While you are at it - a proposal for how to handle subscriptions that expire on dates and/or times someone from Alpha is not available to renew a subscription (or maybe a link to a site where we could make a renewal online) would also be appropriate. I can recommend a software product that would make such an online payment quite easy.
Regarding the ability to renew at any time, this is something that is in process. There will be an online portal where you can view your existing subscriptions and renew them directly. Taking the online payment is the easy part, what is missing is the integration with the licensing system to allow the payment to immediately extend a subscription. Unfortunately there is no firm ETA for the roll-out of this.
>>

Alpha Web Application Server for IIS / Answers/Clarification to some questions
« Last post by TheSmitchell on September 08, 2016, 12:55:31 PM »
Hello everyone!

I wanted to answer some questions/concerns that have come up during the IIS sessions.

Is the Alpha Anywhere Application Server for IIS still in beta?

NO. The Alpha Anywhere Application Server for IIS is no longer in beta.

If I convert my Alpha Anywhere Standard Application Server license to an Alpha Anywhere Application Server for IIS license, will my Standard server be shut down immediately?

NO. Alpha will work with you to provide you with a migration window that will give you the time you need to move your applications from the Standard server to the IIS server.

If I publish an application to the IIS server, can I publish the same application to the Standard server?

YES. You can publish to both. And PhoneGap. And Alpha Cloud.

Can I run both the IIS server and Standard server with one license?

NO. In order to run both the IIS server and Standard server, you need a separate license for each.

If you encounter any problems when trying to publish your application to IIS through Alpha's publishing utilities, tell us. Contact us at a5v12bugs@alphasoftware.com so we can help you.

You can find documentation about the IIS server in our help documentation. This documentation includes information on how to setup and configure IIS as well as how to migrate an existing Alpha Anywhere application to IIS. If you find any problems with the documentation, you can report them to the documentation team at documentation@alphasoftware.com.

Finally, if any of you will be attending DevCon this year, bring your IIS questions! Terry will be available to answer any IIS questions you may have.

Thanks and good luck!
Member Introductions / Intro - James Moore
« Last post by jdm0759 on September 02, 2016, 08:49:00 AM »
Hello all,

I've been working in database software development for business for 30+ years.  I have written numerous desktop applications including completely automating a start-up company that grew to a large company overnight.  I worked for that company for 16 years that went from using index cards for dispatching and parts inventory to using a system I put together.  I started developing dBase II applications in 1983 and moved to dBase III+, then went to Clipper S'87 through Clipper 5.3.  In 1994, I developed database software for a special niche market.  Version 1 was written in Clipper and the customers loved the program.  It wasn't long until I started hearing when are you going to take the product to Windows.  The quickest path for me to get this done was to move to FoxPro for Windows 2.6 at the time, then I completely rewrote the product in 2004 using VFP9 and a framework called Visual FoxExpress.  This framework used all of the OOP concepts and n-Tier concepts of keeping the Presentation Layer, Business Layer and Data Layer completely separate. For example, the presentation layer called the business object's Save method.  From their, the business object took over to make sure all rules pass.  If not, an error message would be delivered.  If all the rules passed, then the business object would update the database.  The backend was 99% SQL Server starting with SQL Server 7, then SQL Server 2000, then SQL Server 2008 R2 (skipped right over SQL Server 2005).  I sold several thousand copies of this software all over the world from 1994 - 2008.  In 2008, everything was going to the cloud and when I developed the software it was developed as a LAN based database system.  The competition swallowed me up and I was back out working normal jobs.  Since 1996 when I left the company I was with since 1980... a 16 year stretch, I haven't had a job more than three years due to all 9 except 2 of the companies went out of business and I was forced to look for work again.  A couple of these companies were excellent to work for and I would have stayed with them until retirement.  Oh well, you have to keep on moving.  I feel like I've become a jack of all trades, master at none because all of these companies had me working on different technologies.

It is finally time I learn web technologies.  I have been taking HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, Node.js, etc. from a site called Udemy.  The instructors are excellent and the best thing is they all (at least the courses I've been through) give you plenty of labs--  hands-on -- which is the way I imagine most of us learn, is by doing.  I know that is true about me.  I purchased my first Alpha Anywhere subscription about a year ago and have written a couple of web data entry screens.  I haven't spent as much time in Alpha Anywhere because I am trying to learn all the technologies first because I need to understand what it is I am doing rather than checking boxes, etc.

I've used frameworks since the mid-80's and they are great until you run into something you need to do that it doesn't do for you.  That is why I don't want to be completely dependent on a framework.  Plus, I need to find work at some point (I have been working as a contractor with a friend of mind on a large C# .NET project.  I knew nothing about C# but I understand OOP so it was just a matter of learning syntax.  I've been doing all the business layer tear of this application.).   Within the next few months I would love to find a company that will hire me without having years and years of web experience.  I know this may be a stretch but I have been using all my extra time to go through these courses and learn as much as I can.  Plus, I will put together a small Alpha Anywhere application just to be able to look under the hood so to speak or at least use the "hooks" provided for client and server side events.

On the personal side, I have three awesome grandchildren along with my son and his wife and my beautiful daughter and her awesome husband.  They all live at least 5-7 hours away so when I don't get to see them, I play with my dog Max.  He is a beautiful King Charles Cavalier Spaniel.  He loves to go on walks with Daddy every evening.  I love topics such as history, science, engineering, technology... I am always amazed at the cool stuff I learn that happened in history.... especially from WWII onwards.  I especially love to watch how seemingly impossible things have been built with incredible engineering.  I love space exploration and all the things that is continued to be learned about the vastness of space. 

Anyway, I could go on an on but I think that about sums up my life since I started developing software.  I never thought I would be doing this when I was  younger.  I actually wanted to be a meteorologist because I grew up in the Oklahoma City area and the study of severe thunderstorms, super-cells and tornadoes always fascinated me.  But, it didn't work out that way.  I keep up with it now more as a hobby than anything else.

I love Alpha Anywhere but at the same time I know I have to get proficient with all these skills because I want to stay in the web/mobile space and not all companies will be using the Alpha Anywhere framework.  It would be nice to find a company that is using Alpha Anywhere, but I have so much more to learn.

I'm glad to be a part of the Alpha Developers Network and I want to be a sponge and soak up as much as I can and then be able to share as much as I can with the community.  I have always tried to help the FoxPro community when I was really into VFP.  I wrote a lot of modules that I provided for free to other developers.  You will find I am a very giving person once I feel like I have something of interest that others would benefit from.  I look forward to learning and then as I continue to learn, be able to contribute to newbies such as myself to them as they arrive.  I love to help whenever I can. 

Greetings again and looking forward to getting to know as many of you as I can and start some real cool relationships.
Alpha Web Application Server for IIS / Project, locked into IIS?
« Last post by Steve Wood on September 01, 2016, 12:23:35 PM »
This is information provided by Sarah Mitchell regarding" does Alpha permanently alter the Project when you publish to Alpha for IIS. This question came up during a peer-developer discussion.

---------------------

I looked into IIS regarding changing your project such that you're locked into IIS.

If you have application security, the way security files are stored under IIS is different from the Standard server. An application running under IIS cannot access security information for an application running under the Standard server. This is probably the biggest difference. The migration guide covers this: http://www.alphasoftware.com/documentation/index?search=iis%20migration%20guide

That being said, this is only for published applications. You can define users and groups in the development environment. Security settings are deployed to IIS at publish. So, this should allow you to publish either a web application using either IIS or the Standard server without needing to maintain duplicate copies of your project. This is from our IIS Migration guide:
When users and groups are defined in the Web Security settings in Alpha Anywhere Developer Edition there are two options for storing the users and groups: DBF and SQL Database. When SQL Database is selected, users and groups of a production application can be managed through the Alpha Anywhere Developer Edition or by pages in the application that are usually restricted administrator level users. This is no longer the case with IIS since a deployed application's security data is stored in IIS provider specific database tables. The users and groups stored in the DBF or SQL Database are published to the IIS provider specific database tables at application publish time or by way of the "Publish Security Files" feature in the Alpha Anywhere Developer Edition Web Security control panel. Day to day user management (such as adding users, disabling users, resetting passwords, and adding users to groups) needs to be done by administrator level pages in the application.

<<
Specific changes were made to Alpha Anywhere in version 11 to allow a web application to run under both the Standard server and IIS application sever without needing to make changes (http://www.alphasoftware.com/documentation/index?search=iis overview). This included the deprecation of some session variables and the introduction of the Context object, which can be used to access the session and request objects in xbasic using Context.session and Context.request, respectively. Context will work in both a Standard and IIS application sever deployment.
>>

As far as other settings, however, I am unaware of anything that would make your components unpublishable to a Standard server if you deploy them to IIS.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10