Alpha Developers Network

Author Topic: Intro - James Moore  (Read 303 times)

jdm0759

• Desktop database software developer for 30+ years.
    • Twister Business Technologies, LLC
Intro - James Moore
« on: September 02, 2016, 08:49:00 AM »
Hello all,

I've been working in database software development for business for 30+ years.  I have written numerous desktop applications including completely automating a start-up company that grew to a large company overnight.  I worked for that company for 16 years that went from using index cards for dispatching and parts inventory to using a system I put together.  I started developing dBase II applications in 1983 and moved to dBase III+, then went to Clipper S'87 through Clipper 5.3.  In 1994, I developed database software for a special niche market.  Version 1 was written in Clipper and the customers loved the program.  It wasn't long until I started hearing when are you going to take the product to Windows.  The quickest path for me to get this done was to move to FoxPro for Windows 2.6 at the time, then I completely rewrote the product in 2004 using VFP9 and a framework called Visual FoxExpress.  This framework used all of the OOP concepts and n-Tier concepts of keeping the Presentation Layer, Business Layer and Data Layer completely separate. For example, the presentation layer called the business object's Save method.  From their, the business object took over to make sure all rules pass.  If not, an error message would be delivered.  If all the rules passed, then the business object would update the database.  The backend was 99% SQL Server starting with SQL Server 7, then SQL Server 2000, then SQL Server 2008 R2 (skipped right over SQL Server 2005).  I sold several thousand copies of this software all over the world from 1994 - 2008.  In 2008, everything was going to the cloud and when I developed the software it was developed as a LAN based database system.  The competition swallowed me up and I was back out working normal jobs.  Since 1996 when I left the company I was with since 1980... a 16 year stretch, I haven't had a job more than three years due to all 9 except 2 of the companies went out of business and I was forced to look for work again.  A couple of these companies were excellent to work for and I would have stayed with them until retirement.  Oh well, you have to keep on moving.  I feel like I've become a jack of all trades, master at none because all of these companies had me working on different technologies.

It is finally time I learn web technologies.  I have been taking HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, Node.js, etc. from a site called Udemy.  The instructors are excellent and the best thing is they all (at least the courses I've been through) give you plenty of labs--  hands-on -- which is the way I imagine most of us learn, is by doing.  I know that is true about me.  I purchased my first Alpha Anywhere subscription about a year ago and have written a couple of web data entry screens.  I haven't spent as much time in Alpha Anywhere because I am trying to learn all the technologies first because I need to understand what it is I am doing rather than checking boxes, etc.

I've used frameworks since the mid-80's and they are great until you run into something you need to do that it doesn't do for you.  That is why I don't want to be completely dependent on a framework.  Plus, I need to find work at some point (I have been working as a contractor with a friend of mind on a large C# .NET project.  I knew nothing about C# but I understand OOP so it was just a matter of learning syntax.  I've been doing all the business layer tear of this application.).   Within the next few months I would love to find a company that will hire me without having years and years of web experience.  I know this may be a stretch but I have been using all my extra time to go through these courses and learn as much as I can.  Plus, I will put together a small Alpha Anywhere application just to be able to look under the hood so to speak or at least use the "hooks" provided for client and server side events.

On the personal side, I have three awesome grandchildren along with my son and his wife and my beautiful daughter and her awesome husband.  They all live at least 5-7 hours away so when I don't get to see them, I play with my dog Max.  He is a beautiful King Charles Cavalier Spaniel.  He loves to go on walks with Daddy every evening.  I love topics such as history, science, engineering, technology... I am always amazed at the cool stuff I learn that happened in history.... especially from WWII onwards.  I especially love to watch how seemingly impossible things have been built with incredible engineering.  I love space exploration and all the things that is continued to be learned about the vastness of space. 

Anyway, I could go on an on but I think that about sums up my life since I started developing software.  I never thought I would be doing this when I was  younger.  I actually wanted to be a meteorologist because I grew up in the Oklahoma City area and the study of severe thunderstorms, super-cells and tornadoes always fascinated me.  But, it didn't work out that way.  I keep up with it now more as a hobby than anything else.

I love Alpha Anywhere but at the same time I know I have to get proficient with all these skills because I want to stay in the web/mobile space and not all companies will be using the Alpha Anywhere framework.  It would be nice to find a company that is using Alpha Anywhere, but I have so much more to learn.

I'm glad to be a part of the Alpha Developers Network and I want to be a sponge and soak up as much as I can and then be able to share as much as I can with the community.  I have always tried to help the FoxPro community when I was really into VFP.  I wrote a lot of modules that I provided for free to other developers.  You will find I am a very giving person once I feel like I have something of interest that others would benefit from.  I look forward to learning and then as I continue to learn, be able to contribute to newbies such as myself to them as they arrive.  I love to help whenever I can. 

Greetings again and looking forward to getting to know as many of you as I can and start some real cool relationships.
James Moore
Founder / CTO
Twister Business Technologies, LLC
james@tbiztech.com