Alpha Developers Network

Author Topic: How to investigate if CoT is something for you  (Read 1256 times)

MROnck

How to investigate if CoT is something for you
« on: July 15, 2013, 02:21:39 AM »
Personally, first I like to watch the ever-so-simple "introductory movie", which is going to give me a fast understanding of the product. Important at that point to me is the "look-and-feel" of the product, whether it is in any way attractive to me as a tool. This could turn me off as a potential customer right away if it does not attract me.

Next, I go through the marketing messages of the manufacturer: what does he want me to see? Most probably, these are the strong points of the product.
When I have done that, I already have a rough idea of the product, and when at that point I like what I have seen, I take the next step.

I envision one of my larger applications and ponder about what the toughest parts of creating it have been. Next, I make a small list of the 5 most difficult parts of it, and go find out how the new platform I am looking at offers ways, methods and functions to solve these 5 issues. So, my main point would be: besides the strongest points of the product, how in reality does it solve the things I am encountering in daily life? Is it really as good, as efficient, as fast, as easy in solving THOSE needs? And mind you, this is not the same as an answer to the question: "What does the manufacturer wants me NOT to see?" but it could actually answer it of course.

Price, of course, matters. I know for instance that Outsystems would solve ANY of my problems in a high quality way. But I simply can't afford it, so there is not much use in downloading any "community version" now is there, since I also know that this "community version" has severe limitations that disqualifies it to use complete apps. Understandably so of course. So I need to look at versions of any software (CoT in this case) available, what they offer me, what I need, and what the costs of all involved components will be.

So for CoT, I am now in the stage where I ask myself: "How would CoT allow me to solve THESE 5 problems?".
More specific: at which point exactly stops CoT and refers me back to Visual Studio? Since I am not paying for Visual Studio, but for CoT so it is relevant to see until where exactly the product will take me. I'd rather ofcourse that the product would cover ALL of my needs, like In.De seems to do, and there would be as less as possible need to go outside the environment. At this point in time, I am under the impression that besides the code generator, Code OnTime seems rather quick in shuffling you back to MS Visual Studio. Many high performance features seem to be in the Premium Version which is a bunch more expensive.
I mean look at custom programming, for instance creating functions like the UDF's in Alpha (which is actually almost 25 percent of my time). How does CoT handle this?
My understanding NOW is, that it does not handle it AT ALL, it simple sends you to MS-VS. And that is where I begin to dislike the platform.

So, I am still in doing research after what boundaries CoT sets for me, and what difficulty I will have in working out my problems/tasks outside of the platform.
If anyone has an opinion on this, please chime in and let's discuss this together! I would not have started this thread if I would not have looked at CoT as a serious contender!

PeterGreulich

Re: How to investigate if CoT is something for you
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 06:38:58 AM »
I mean look at custom programming, for instance creating functions like the UDF's in Alpha (which is actually almost 25 percent of my time). How does CoT handle this?
My understanding NOW is, that it does not handle it AT ALL, it simple sends you to MS-VS. And that is where I begin to dislike the platform.
Yeah, that gives me pause too. Watching some of the videos that's the first thing that I noticed.

PeterGreulich

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 04:46:28 PM »
My issue with COT was while it did a nice job of generating initial layouts, it was too much like the old Sharepoint Teamspace application for me.
Can you elaborate a little on that statement, John?

PeterGreulich

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 05:36:05 AM »
No, it runs on IIS.