Alpha Developers Network

Author Topic: New Feature - Show Content Areas  (Read 520 times)

Steve Wood

• Administrator
  • Expert
    • AlphaToGo
New Feature - Show Content Areas
« on: May 04, 2015, 09:56:49 AM »
A new feature is being added to the Framework. This is a free update for all Framework V4 owners.

Here is a video: http://screencast.com/t/n6o7An5rD

Will this be useful?

---
Steve Wood
www.alphatogo.com

kmcgovern

Re: New Feature - Show Content Areas
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 11:01:00 PM »
Steve, these modifications look like they will make managing the content a lot easier... however, by downloading and applying this updated framework, how much rework will need to be done to integrate the dozen or so customized A5W's, UX's, Menu's, etc?  Are there just a few files that can be replaced in your framework?

Thanks!!   :-\

Steve Wood

• Administrator
  • Expert
    • AlphaToGo
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 04:26:22 AM »
Updating any application can be problematic. An Alpha application is not a bunch of proprietary DLL and EXEs where I can just replace the file and have complete assurance that the owner did not make any customization. However IF you have made no changes at all to a particular component, then you CAN simply update your program by copying in the updated file -- but my guess is that after some time even the owner has no recollection if they did or did not customize a particular component.

So I am left with providing detailed instructions on what has been updated and relying on the competency of the owner to make the required updates. And of course that is not going to work out -- some will update their application perfectly, some will never get to it, some will do partial (accidentally or on purpose), and some will completely screw it up. And then that becomes a support issue for me.

One option is for me to do the work. This comes easy to me as long as we are talking about the most recent Framework version; it is difficult for me to work on older versions of the Framework because my head is wrapped around how the new one works. Everyone who has worked with me knows we can either go back and forth for weeks discussing how to fix something, or I can remote in and fix the issue in seconds.

One thing that does make it easier is that both Alpha Anywhere and my Framework are mature now. It was a real pain going from 10.5 to 11, and 11 to 12. Now thing seem to have smoothed out. But it is also true that the Framework has lots of little features that have to be kept in sync. The core features never have a problem, its normally the outer layer like CRON, SMTP, CSS, and the database connection.

Maybe this protocol will help:
  • Deliver updates in batches rather than lots of little updates.
  • Detailed description and instructions.
  • A video on the new features, and a video on how to update the app.
  • Give the update a Build Number so we can refer to it.
  • Provide a checklist of some sort so you can validate it was updated properly.
And, I can also come up with a Support plan where I do the update, or validate that your update is done right. I end up doing that anyway when user gets stuck.

The absolute worst situation is where the developer gives up or sits frustrated for days or weeks because something is not working. That is not just a Framework issue, it is a fact of life with application development.
---
Steve Wood
www.alphatogo.com

dcmcm5

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 07:40:34 PM »
How do I update the framework?

bunninja300

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 02:29:05 AM »
Who wants to introduce yourself? I have it.